Saturday, March 22, 2014

Family Ties

A couple years ago we took A for some swimming lessons. They were a shrieky debacle, but he often asks about his teacher, Mr. Josh. So he was pretty excited when the gym put up headshots of all the staffers, including his favorite aquatics instructor. I hoisted him up to see it and said, "Hey, buddy, it's Mr. Josh!" He just asked, "Where's his mom?" 

This happens pretty often; when he sees an adult, he wonders where his or her parents are, or will say that the person is "sad because he doesn't have his dad with him." It's like he's from another time -- a time before sons and daughters left their families to make lives on their own. Sons and daughters like his mom and dad -- a thousand miles away from their hometown. Something about his perspective is so simple and sweet. Even though I went as far away as I could, as quickly as I could, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the closeness of family, that I didn't wish it was just as he thinks -- that people grow with their families forever. I don't know how my parents felt when I left, but I know karma will come for me soon enough.

No comments: