Sunday, February 16, 2014

Someone Like You

I've always really identified with that Adele song, "Someone Like You."  Not because I have that character in my life as such, but because I am someone who turns up out of the blue, uninvited. Life is short, I figure.

I always reinterpret the refrain, however. And by that I mean I won't allow myself to look up the lyrics and prove myself wrong. The way I think she intended it is this:

"Don't forget me," I begged.
"I'll remember," you said. 
Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead. 

In my head, I see that as Adele on the front step, her ex in the doorway, giving her the tiniest bit of generosity in saying that he'll remember her. It's a shared moment, but she is definitely more vulnerable. But the way I choose to think of it is this:

"Don't forget me, I beg," I'll remember you said. 
"Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead."

To me, that means that he has just as much vulnerability as she does; he's moved on but also doesn't want to be forgotten. I like that version better, of course. I guess I like to think that there are some people -- friends or lovers -- who will always have importance in our lives, no matter the number of years that have passed.

No comments: