Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Memory Full Error

At the end of January, my sister texted me that she was missing our mom. That was normal, I thought, with the anniversary of her death coming up in 2 days.
But I was wrong. It *was* the anniversary of her death. And it revealed a secret I've been keeping for 15 years: I can never remember the date that my mom died. Even though for 10 years my whole family gathered for a memorial ceremony on that date, I can't ever know for certain whether it's the 24th or the 26th. This year, I was on the wrong side of the coin. I know I'll forget again by this time next year.
Then last week, a good friend told me that he and his wife are expecting a baby. He told me the date, in early August. I looked at the calendar on the wall and said, "Oh, you guys have plenty of time!" He looked at me kind of strangely but we kept talking baby. So exciting.
So. A couple days later I heard that dmb song "What Would You Say" on the radio. As he sings, "Every day has its way of being forgotten -- Mom, it's my birthday!" I thought, well, I guess I could see that happening. And then it hit me: That due date, in early August? It's Abbott's birthday. Not close. Not nearby. It IS Abbott's birthday.
I called my friend and said, hey, she's due on Abbott's birthday, isn't she? And he said, yeah, I thought it was kind of strange that you didn't say anything.
I don't know how I could have forgotten that. It's as though somehow in the past couple decades I have stopped taking in new information. And it's not like dates even take up that much room! 5 bytes, at most. I can't tell you for sure, but I think I miss being able to remember things.

No comments: