Sunday, December 19, 2010

What lies beneath

I heard "Cat's in the Cradle" while I was driving home the other day. And, as is my way, my brain started editing the lyrics. You know, at the end of the song when his son blows him off because "my new job's a hassle and the kids have the flu"? He says his boy was just like him. But my purely semantic brain can't help but think, well, no he's not. He's taking care of his sick kids. He's not just like you.

So I tucked that little tidbit away with the other lyrical flubs that make feel so clever: "You're So Vain" really *is* about him, "this ever-changing world in which we live in," from "Live and Let Die" makes me cringe, et cetera. I even came home and wrote a little blog post about it. But something about it bothered me, and I didn't post it.

A couple days later, I heard the song again. And I realized why I didn't post it: while accurate, it was not the truth. Here's the truth: I am scared to death of raising a "Cat's in the Cradle" baby. And in a week, I have to send him off to daycare. It's simply our financial reality. But it just isn't something you ever think of when you're envisioning having kids.

No comments: