Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Credit where it's due

OK, so. I think most of Roxette's canon is drek. You know, that Swedish bubblegum pop duo with really severe hair from a couple decades ago? I mean, it's enjoyable drek, but seriously, it's bad. And by most, I mean it would definitely round to 100 percent, regardless of number of significant digits. Here's a sample of one of their No. 1 hits:

She's got the look
she's got the look
what in the world can make a brown-eyed girl turn blue
when everything I'll ever do
I'll do for you and I go
la la la la la
she's got the look 


And who could forget this?

She says hello, you fool, I love you
Come on, join the joyride 

So a bunch of meaningless garbage, right? But yesterday I heard one of their lyrics on the radio and thought, man, that is kind of nice imagery:

I know there's something in the wake of your smile. 

It was sort of like finding a diamond in a big mound of trash. Or maybe more like finding a safe-looking, fully wrapped Ring Pop in a big mound of trash. Anyway, this is many years too late, but way to go, Roxette.

No comments: