Monday, June 14, 2010

The apple and the tree and all that

So Jeffrey and I are powering forward in Project Nursery 2K10, even though it is way too hot for such activities. Today as I was cleaning, I noticed the vacuum hose didn't have any suction. Turns out there was a big clog of hair and kettle corn (don't ask) stuck about halfway up the hose. So I scoured the house for something long and narrow enough to get at the mess. I settled on a cheap wire hanger from the dry cleaner, you know, with the flimsy cardboard tube on the bottom instead of a piece of wood? And as I was plying it into a long wire with a hook at the end, Jeffrey said, as he often does, "You got a lot of the old man in you. You think maybe you should give him a call?"

I don't have the best relationship with my dad. It's been worse, for sure, but there's a lot of room for improvement there. And I realize that a lot of that room is on my end. He did call last.

And the thing is, I have a TON of the old man in me. But mostly I just think about the negative stuff. On occasion, Jeffrey reminds me of the good stuff, too, like the ability to jury-rig useful household items. That's just one more thing I appreciate about him.

No comments: