Monday, April 12, 2010

I'm a believer

So all of these Toyota revelations have me in the mood for the movie "Class Action." It's from 1991 and stars Gene Hackman and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio as a somewhat estranged (strained, to say the least) father and daughter who are on opposite sides of a car safety lawsuit. If you haven't seen it, consider it. Of course, the movie is really about familial relationships, but the car storyline is quite compelling.

This morning I read in the paper that Toyota used evasion and deception as a frequent tactic in legal challenges. I guess, by this stage in the game, that shouldn't be shocking. I don't know why, but it hit me particularly hard this morning. We were a 2-Corolla family until an SUV assaulted Jeffrey's '96 in a parking lot last year. I bought mine a couple weeks out of college; it's the only car I've ever owned.

I think I'm pretty cynical. I never believed in Tiger Woods, and politicians can do precious little to shock me. Those things roll right off me. But I realized today that I must have really believed in Toyota. It was a hidden bias, one of those feelings you don't realize exists until it ceases to. And sometimes that marshmallowy inside really surprises me.

No comments: