Sunday, March 28, 2010

2 things that annoy me

1. People who massacre the English language. I'm not talking about people who don't have access to education; I'm talking about people who have access to too much education and have an exaggerated sense of self-importance because of it. I'm talking about bullshit changers of parts of speech, users of fake words like "impactful." And I know, I'm hypocritical. I sometimes use adjectives as nouns ("Who called?" "Oh, some random.") in shorthand. And I know that if I really thought about it, I could suss out some deep insecurity as the reason people do this. And then I would probably have to show some understanding or sympathy or something. I will save that for another day. For now I'm just going to keep on flipping off these e-mails with both middle fingers.

2. Sympathy-baiters: People for whom nothing big is really wrong, but the general ennui of life has just gotten to be too much. Every. Single. Day. And they have to tell you about it, either in words or with their sad, sad faces. And again, I know there is a lot of hypocrisy here, because here I am complaining about them. So I'll just stop. 

!!!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Hey, you know what bugs me? People who are very confident with ONE grammar or spelling rule (say, the difference between "it's" and "its") and get all sanctimonious when they catch someone else using it wrong. Or say it's their "pet peeve." Or join a Facebook group dedicated to "hating" people who get it wrong.

I say, once you know more or less ALL the rules, you're then allowed to break them as you see fit to be funny or ironic. I doubt most users of "impactful" are going to be falling into that category. :)

Mary said...

My biggest (or most common) complaint is about complaining. I totally get you on this. I'm negative about negativity.