Monday, February 08, 2010

Simple pleasures

Here are just a few of the many, many things it turns out I love.

1. Masterpiece Classics' version of Emma. I love the simplicity, and the costumes, and the drama. And of course, I love Mr. Knightley. In fact, here are my favorite Mr.s Knightley, in order of preference:
1. Jonny Lee Miller
2. Paul Rudd
3. Jeremy Northam
Of course, they are all very close.

2. Box macaroni and cheese. I hadn't had this since I was a kid, but I made some tonight. And sure, it's different now, all organic and such. But still, it is quite delightful. It started out as a side, but then I finished the entire box. Jeffrey asked, how many servings did you eat? I replied, all.

3. Comparative advantage. On Sunday, Jeffrey and I enjoyed a day of doing the things we like to do, and are good at, around the house. I put together a bookcase, and he made a really good caldo verde-like soup. When his mom heard I was putting together the bookcase, she was appalled. And in the past, I'd have made a big deal out of how we turn gender roles on their heads. But now, it's just comfortable. I do what I like. He does what he likes. It doesn't have to be a thing. It's just us.

No comments: