Saturday, January 16, 2010

A couple bits

OK, first something that kind of makes me crazy: When people use uncommon words unnecessarily and imprecisely. A wire story yesterday characterized the flow of aid workers in Haiti as nascent. And I was like, really? This flow of aid workers was JUST BORN? Nascent has the same root word as prenatal, having to do with birth. It just doesn't fit. How about just new? Or newly arrived?

Anyway, sorry for the rant. And yes, I am fully aware that I am part of the problem.

Moving on. If you're like me, you're reading a lot about Haiti, to a point. I wish I were a doctor who could go down there and help, but also I should be honest with myself. If I were a doctor with a practice, would I take the time out to go down there right now and help? Or would I easily come up with excuses why I couldn't? All I've done so far is read about it, feel bad, be pissed and give money. And only one of those things does anything, and it's questionable how much it even can do right now, given their difficulty with infrastructure. I mean, I've done this before. I'm a money giver, and I know it's the easy way out. It assuages my guilt and lets me live this incredibly spoiled life in which I do not question where my next meal or super-clean glass of water comes from. A life in which a bowl of food sits on the dining room table getting soggy because I just wasn't in the mood for the rest of it. It lets me forget who I wanted to be.

Anyway, that's enough of that. This internal gazing doesn't help, either.

No comments: