Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Friends

I've been thinking about friendships a lot lately. It was always funny to me when people said we're "just friends," because it seemed like such a slight to friendship. Friends are vital to life as I know it. They leave an impression on me for decades. Forever, really. I still quote friends -- out loud and in my thinking -- I haven't talked to in many many years. And I hear from them and I realize that they quote me, too. And sometimes their memories even outpace mine, which is a mixed surprise.

So what I have to say is that if you have been my friend, you have left an impression on me. If we have shared a memory, there's a very good chance that I still have it, particularly if it made me laugh. And lots of things make me laugh. And if there are bad memories, I have probably blocked them out of my mind.

And I thank you.

No comments: