Sunday, August 23, 2009

A few things

Jeffrey has been on his annual Colorado excursion this week, seeing his brother and his family and his best friend, Jeff. I love that he goes because he enjoys himself and gets to immerse himself in a different part of his world. But I miss him. So I'm glad he's coming back tonight. Also, the house is a mess. That goes almost without saying, no?

I discovered a new-to-me artist today: Kate Miller-Heidke. She's an Australian songwriter and she has an amazing voice and range. I first heard of her with her painful and hilarious song about ex-lovers on Facebook, "R U Fucking Kidding Me." But then I heard this song, "The Last Day on Earth," and basically fell in love. I love the lyric, "You know me, I love to lose my mind." It's like it was written for me, except that it doesn't literally apply to me at all. But I could SEE feeling that way about someone. I just can't stop listening to it.

My fitness goals changed this week when I saw some of the world track championships. I was at the gym, on the elliptical, watching these people RUN in a way that I don't really remember ever seeing. They were just at the height of their lives, working as hard as I've ever seen anyone work, really. Those Jamaican women were just amazing. And I loved watching the Brazilian women, standing in their tiny running uniforms (don't get me started on that), chests out, muscular, not skinny, proud. The gym guy said, not in a bad way, "Those women are beasts!" And I said, "I want to be a beast!" He was like, "Are you sure your husband's going to like that?" Later I asked Jeffrey, and he very diplomatically said, "I like you the way you are." So anyway, beasthood here I come! Not like I could ever run like that. I mean, come on. But I got him to teach me how to use the machines in the testosterony weight room. So today I went and did dips, pull-ups, and various other weight-related exercises. Then I went into the gym and did my typical jump rope routine, and a woman came up to me afterward and said I was a monster on the jump rope! It was so nice. I almost think she was somehow placed into the script or something. Thanks, writers!

No comments: