Monday, August 03, 2009

A baby, a shield, a ball

I went to Iowa this weekend to see my sister and her family, including her brand-new baby, Minh-Phuong. See cuteness here:


She's three weeks old and thinks I'm hilarious, as you can see. She's incredibly mellow. I know my children would never be so mellow, so it's nice to see it in others.

I've been thinking a lot lately about openness. I always think that I am more open than I really am. I perpetuate this internal and external myth by giving up all kinds of information freely that doesn't matter at all. But since I give it up so freely, people think I'm open. And everything else is hidden away. But really I keep the dumbest stuff inside. I think it's because I'm so afraid people will find out how stupid, or small, or petty (or prone to redundancies!) I am. But that's hubristic because true stupidity or pettiness seeps out no matter how much you try to control it. Or should I say, no matter how much I try to control it. So I guess the smart thing to do is open up. We'll see how that goes.

In kickball news, I am still in the game! I had quit a couple weeks ago because I thought I'd injured my muscles and didn't want to do permanent damage. But a friend of mine suggested I stay in it and I'm impressionable so I did. And it was awesome! I am a not-bad kickball player! Of course this past weekend I was in Iowa so I couldn't play, and this weekend is paintball. But I'm so glad I stayed with it.

No comments: