Thursday, August 09, 2007

Sick day

I've spent the whole day on the couch, coming in and out of consciousness while "Top Chef" played on Bravo. As Jeffrey says, I'm marinating in my on filth. My throat is still sore despite the copious amounts of frozen custard, which Brianne so kindly brought me, that I've stuffed down my gullet. I've pretty much subsisted on that banana caramel and a couple cans of soup today. So good.

I also watched/slept through a very disturbing documentary on Real Dolls. They're these life-size dolls that become "companions" for men who are looking for silent, posable, smiling women. This documentary has to be seen to be believed. I think it's getting more traffic now because of "Lars and the Real Girl," which looks like a really interesting movie in which a loner played by Ryan Gosling starts carting around one of these things. He seems like a well-meaning guy with some social difficulties; these guys in the documentary don't. The thing about these dolls is that they may get a guy through a lonely period, but they also seem to guarantee that these guys will never have a living girlfriend again. Anyway, if you want to read more about it, check out this Salon article from a couple years ago.

No comments: