Monday, July 30, 2007

Snidbits, Part 2

It's thunderstormy out, and it's morning. For some reason, that doesn't seem right. It's somehow unnatural. Storms should happen when it's already dark out. Anyway, it has me up and contemplative.

Jeffrey and I went for a nice, creative dinner date last night. It was pretty good. For the appetizer, we got beef tartare with pickled eggs and tiny toast as well as fried goat cheese and ham and artichoke salad. The tartare wasn't what I expected it to be. I guess I expected it to be more rawish. The goat cheese was delicious, though. And it was a gigantic patty -- much more than I expected. For the entrees, we got the lamb shank (who can resist saying lamb shank) and the etouffe, which were both very tasty. For dessert, we got the pound cake with strawberries and strawberry ice cream and the creme brulee. It was an experience at a restaurant we've been meaning to try, and I felt really grateful that we are fortunate enough to enjoy a dinner like that.

Then we went to see "The Simpsons" movie. It was packed. We sat in front of some of what I call "dude seating," (dude, empty seat, dude, repeat) which is annoying. The dudes had to use their outside voices to be heard across that empty seat. Anyway, I have to say that the movie was a bit of a disappointment. I'm sort of a season 2-6 kind of a gal. Maybe the new ones are like this. It had its moments, though.

Some other snippets:

1. It always amazes me when I find someone who really easily lies. It's one of the two things I don't believe in until I have to: people who are genuinely stupid and adults who lie. What is with adults who lie? I just think of it as a thing that people outgrow, you know, when they're 5. But some people do it really easily, every single day. It just rolls off their tongue! It always amazes me. I know that I'm naive in many ways, but I just don't see a reason for it. It's like, little bullshit stuff, too, just to get their way. And big stuff. Like, answering a direct question no when you know the answer is yes. I just wonder how a person gets to that point in life where they have to lie to get through a day. It's just such a small life. It's mind-boggling.

2. I'm sort of anti-base-10-establishment right now. It drives Jeffrey crazy. It's gotten to the point where we just can't discuss it. It really makes him mad. Like, I'm anti 3.141592, but I'm mega-pro (circumference) over (diameter). To me, the digits are not as precise because they'll never be right. They'll continue to approach rightness to a degree that I can't even discern, but they'll never actually be right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, people who lie , you can't trust them with respect to anything else. It's like they're just too slick for their own good. Hope it catches up with them one day.