Thursday, March 15, 2007

Sunshine

Today is objectively, inarguably, gorgeous. Sunny, breezy, perfect. I spent an hour on our balcony reading and then napping. For some reason, everything reminds me of Iowa today. Out in the sun, I felt like I was smelling Cedar Rapids. When I went to the store, I thought of when the big Hy-Vee store opened up on Mount Vernon Road (the first of the modern Hy-Vee stores in CR) and how my friends and I used to hang out there. It was the first serious magazine rack in Cedar Rapids, way before Barnes and Noble came to town. It was cool, man. I really miss Iowa today. I even thought, maybe we could move back there. I said to Jeffrey, "Everything reminds me of Iowa today." He said, "You know what would really remind you of Iowa? Living there." He's not so eager, I guess.

I think part of the nostalgia blast is that we're looking at houses and everything is so expensive here. My sister got a really beautiful house for $100K. Also we're thinking of children, and of course, education. I had a great experience in Iowa public schools. They're some of the best in the nation. I went to a post-hippie elementary school that didn't have walls; all our classrooms were separated by big chalkboards. The school also had "Family School," which let the children choose a lot of their own curriculum. I was not invited into that program, but I heard good things about it.

Sigh. I'm sure it'll pass.

Yesterday afternoon I ate something that made me feel sick to my stomach so I stayed home. I spent most of the day in bed, and then peeked my head out sometime after 6. I caught "Super Size Me" on MSNBC, which was a weird place for it. Once again, like when we saw it in the theater, it made me really hungry for McDonald's, which I very rarely eat. I eat it maybe once a year, and always when I'm on the road. After Jeffrey and I saw it in the theater, we immediately wanted some fries. That's how insidious their good-tasting fries are -- after you see a documentary about their ill effects, you really want some. They really are like a drug. I even found myself lamenting the fact that they got rid of the Super size!

No comments: