Wednesday, March 28, 2007

How being an editor has damaged my brain, Example oh, let's say 267

I'm learning how to play accompaniments to songs just using the basic chords in their respective keys. My assignment for this week (after my teacher went through several folk songs that I never learned as a kid) (she didn't list any Vietnamese ones!) is "My Country 'Tis of Thee." So I'm going through the song today: My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing.

And the first thought that pops into my head: Well, that's just redundant. Why the second personal pronoun?

Seriously. I don't think I'm ever going to be a musician.

"American Beauty" is on TNT again tonight. I caught part of it the other night, too. It's funny, when I first saw it in 1999, I thought it was going to be this major movie that could maybe make a big impact -- as big of an impact as a movie can make, I guess. But then it sort of disappeared and I just forgot about it. And now it's on again and I'm watching it, and it's entertaining, but there's not that much enduring profoundness for me. I guess the closer I get to quiet suburban desperation (and by closer I mean knowing people who I can believe might possibly be living it) the less interested I am in seeing it on television. I mean, I think it's well-done and the acting is really good. But I wonder if the time for torpor has passed.

You know, maybe it's the commercials, too.

No comments: