Wednesday, March 21, 2007

... can't trust that day

Yesterday was very busy for us. First, I had my piano lesson, in which I crumbled predictably. One of my books has my teacher playing a complicated accompaniment beneath my very simple melodies, which I had been playing, at best, shakily at home. It's like, hey, you're feeling OK about this piece. Let me try and f you up. It works every time. Now she has me doing this thing where I can skip notes but I have to stay in rhythm and time if I make a mistake. And that only goes against EVERYTHING I KNOW. The first time she had me try that, I fell apart so badly that I just waited until the time ran out on the song and said, "There, now I'm done!" We have a good time, though.

Then Jeffrey and I found enlightenment at the mortgage office. See, we had been looking at houses roughly based on the quickie calculation instrument on the side of the Web page that says "In order to afford this house, you have to make this much." And I'm like, hey, we make that much! Well, then we talked to the mortgage guy, who told us that would come out to, oh, $2,600 a month. I was like, um, we can't afford that. Not even close. So we're going to have to save some more money while simultaneously adjusting our expectations lower. Best to know this now, I suppose.

Last night we pitted the two Truman Capote movies against each other: "Capote" and "Infamous." I'd never even heard of "Infamous," but it had a metric ton of stars -- Gwyneth Paltrow (in a most inexplicable singing-then-immediately-disappearing role), Sigourney Weaver, Daniel Craig, Jeff Daniels, Sandra Bullock, Hope Davis, Isabella Rossellini and Peter Bogdanovich. It was also much more of a comedy than one might expect for a quasi-factual movie in which 6 people die in particularly gruesome fashions: 2 people by hanging, 3 by shooting and one with a slit throat. I mean really. Of course, I read that "Capote" was a little darker than any movie about Truman Capote should be. I can't tell how factual either one is; Sadly, both Truman Capote and George Plimpton are dead so I can't ask them about their books. In Capote, he's fairly despicable, using the killers to propel his book project. In Infamous, he falls in love with one of the killers. That's not to say that you can't use someone you love or vice versa, I guess. Anyway, both are pretty thought-provoking about the death penalty and whether people are all good or all evil or if they necessarily are somewhere in between. But I will suggest that you not watch them right before bed. I had very, very scary dreams last night!

No comments: