Saturday, February 10, 2007

Yes, I know, but will a high-fiber diet make me *normal*?

Today's random '80s TV memory jogger: Whatever happened to Audra Lee? You may remember her from such phrases as, "I'm Audra Lee. See you NEXT TIME ON KIDS BEAT!" I believe the Superstation TBS may have been involved? Anyway, my sister and I hated her because she was on TV and we were watching said TV, instead of starring in our own cable commercial program. I haven't seen or heard from her in decades. Probably she went to an Ivy League school and is, like, a physicist or something now. In fact, I'm just going to go ahead and say/think that. Hey, do you remember Audra Lee? I hear she's an Ivy League-trained physicist now! Good for her! Way to go, Audra!

The other disappearance from pop culture I wonder about is Ziggy. I gave money last year to a cancer foundation, and they recently sent me a couple sheets of address labels, which will take me approximately 143 years to use, since I a) don't send things via the United States Postal Service, and b) never use an address label. The thing is, though, they're Ziggy, so I will keep them for the sake of irony/nostalgia (is that one sake or two, technically? who can say.). The last time I saw Ziggy, he was starring on an oversized nightshirt. This was maybe in 1982. I don't even know anything about him. Does he bumble? He seems like he might be a bumbler.

OK part three of this painful palaver is one more person I believe in: Anderson Cooper. I've been meaning to write how much I believe in him since I found out from him that Saddam Hussein had been hung. I don't get why so many people have to hate on him. I adore him. I have enjoyed him ever since I saw him as a funny overnight anchor on World News Now. But, people cry, "he's GLORIA VANDERBILT'S SON!" So? It's not like he's Nicolas Cage or anything. It's true, I haven't watched TV news with the sound on (it's always on in the background at work) in maybe 10 years, so I can't comment on whether I believe he's a true journalist, but how many TV anchors are? I hear such weird criticisms of him, like of his name. Well, honey, he's got the name of a STAR (jazz hands!)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that there was anyone else on the face of the earth that remembers Audra Lee on TBS in between the afternoon re-runs. (Remember when TBS started and stopped programming at five minutes after the hour?) She was so obnoxious.