Monday, February 19, 2007

Staying true to my source material

1. We went to the Virginia Beach Vietnamese New Year celebration yesterday. It was keerazy. I read in the newspaper today that there were more than 600 Vietnapeeps there. I can believe it. Jeffrey said, "This is more Vietnamese people than in all of Iowa." It wasn't quite as fun as the Tet celebrations we used to have in Cedar Rapids, though, oddly enough. They were selling food (I bought 4 banh bao and some other varied goodies), but I had expected a lot more of the traditional Tet food that I'm used to, like colored fried coconut. At the Cedar Rapids parties, there was always a TON of food and it was potluck-style. For some reason, there was always at least one bucket of KFC, too. I was always pretty excited about that because we never ate that at home. Also, in Iowa, the food orientation meant there were tables. Here, we sat eating our sticky rice in rows of chairs. Still, I'm very glad they offered it, and glad we went. We saw a ton of cute little kids and I signed up for a Vietnamese language class on Sundays. Maybe I can finally overcome my functional illiteracy.

2. I returned to piano lessons today for the first time since I fell ill. I was sort of nervous, but everything went fine. A surprising amount came back to me, like the crazy fingering for the B flat major scale. I had to think super hard to get it to work, but I was able to. Twice, even. My tone is still timid, though, my teacher says. It's so weird because I'm not timid in the least. So I guess what I have to do is try to pretend I'm about to make a point at work or something. 8)

2 comments:

Julie said...

OK -- this morning I'll be public about this. I'm commented ON YOUR BLOG. Glad to hear you went to the Vietnamese celebration. I can totally picture you there by reading just your one paragraph. And the music bit -- I can relate, especially with the B flat major scale. Now, merge the two together: Play a B flat major scale at a Vietnamese celebration, and I think you'll have the underpinnings of a book.

Julie said...

I'm COMMENTING ON ....

Geez. It's 4:27 a.m. I should know better ...