Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hook me up a new revolution

I think I'm done with The Kite Runner. I've read probably 80 percent of it, and I know what happens in all of it. I know that's weird: I didn't read the entire thing. It's very emotionally taxing, and I felt like I'd paid up. I've read all kinds of feel-bad lit. I read about the poor, the war-ravaged, the disadvantaged. And things like that always make me want to help. Not that I believe in true altruism, because I don't. I believe in goodness, and even great goodness, but I don't believe in true selflessness. I believe that people help out of a sense of duty, or something that's encoded within them to make them feel like they need to or want to help. Something is fulfilled for them if they do so. I'm certain that's the way it is with me. I have a great deal of guilt, or duty, or whatever because I grew up poor and my family *narrowly* escaped Vietnam. And now I'm living in luxury, really. I'm not poor. I'm not constantly threatened by violence. The only suffering I do is emotional. And come on, really. Even I'm tired of hearing about that.

So my point is, what can I take away from this? What can I do to help? I can't go to Afghanistan to make sure no little boys are tormenting other little boys in back alleys -- that could be happening within a 2-block radius of me, and worse. I don't know what to do. Is it figure out who has it the worst? Or what I can do the best? I thought I had figured that out, but either I wimped out or I was wrong.

Do you remember what it was like when you were in school and you had a path? I mean, you'd finish fifth grade, and then you'd go on to sixth. And sure enough, after that came seventh.

I sure do miss that.

1 comment:

maliavale said...

I almost didn't finish the book after the alley incident, in the beginning. It was so disturbing. But the ending is good, although it sounds like you can't be convinced to get there.