Thursday, February 15, 2007

Change of heart

OK, so I did finish the book. As two friends had suggested, it was very good. It was hard, but rewarding. I'd say this passage made the whole book worth reading:

I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.


In the book, there are people who are bad who always stay bad. And there are people who are wounded who stay wounded. And sometimes there is a glimmer of redemption, with no guarantees. So, all in all, it seems about right.

Next up for me is "The Omnivore's Dilemma," recommended to me by Maliavale. I've started the prologue, and I love the way it's written. It traces food from the table back to the soil. Already it's made me think about the inordinate amount of brainpower I devote to food. I mean, it's not going to change that; it's just made me think about it. I can't give up thinking about food; it's one of my very favorite things. But I am afraid I may develop vegetarianism again after reading it (Anyone remember the "Consider the Lobster" incident of 2K5?). I'll try to stay strong.

I DO have a current food obsession: Popcorn. Specifically, I'm looking for the best orange-fingered cheese popcorn there is. I used to eat Karmelkorn's Cheesekorn product when I was a kid, but they don't have those around here. Plus, I think, it may have been krap, and I just didn't know any better. Hm, sad. But now I am on a quest. Tens of dollars worth of shipping fees will be devoted. Hundreds of calories will be consumed. I am determined to find it. Or I will lose interest trying.

I do have a popcorn-related question, though: What's with popcorn balls? I don't understand them. I guess the closest I've ever gotten to an actual popcorn ball was during my one year of CCD. I tried to eat it, and it was hard and not enjoyable in the slightest. It was too big for my mouth, maybe. The angle was all wrong, like my mouth could only move tangentially along it or something, never quite breaking in. I wanted it to be broken up into little bite-sized bits. You know, like, um, popcorn? Anyway, they're not something I don't believe in; I just really find them suspect.

3 comments:

maliavale said...

OK, so now that you finished, can I say that I found the kite part at the end, which is supposed to be redeeming, just kind of trite? OK, I said it. I liked the book, but it didn't rock my world like it did some. Omnivore, however, DID.

Popcorn balls kontinue to konfound. Karry on.

Anonymous said...

Garrett Popcorn Shop, based in Chicago. Best popcorn ever. Trust me!

-- J-Co

nrrdgrrl said...

I've seen them on the Internets. I'm going to pit them against Candyland in a blind taste test! We'll see!