Sunday, January 28, 2007

Relaxation, reflection

I had a lovely relaxing day to recover from Poynter. I played the piano for an hour in the afternoon, and then Jeffrey and I went to our favorite sushi place, Daruma, which I'm sad to see appears to be falling on hard times. Then I spent the rest of the night chatting with Julie and watching Demetri Martin clips on Comedy Central. Now we're watching 49 Up! It's the last one in the series for now.

I've been thinking a lot about relationships and friendships. I met so many people this week who I really came to respect. At first I was tired from my long week and not sure of how well I would get on with everyone. But, as always, my first impressions were off. For instance, I've never known anyone who worked in television news; I don't even watch it. So I met all these TV people and I didn't think I'd like them very much, necessarily. But I found that we all had so much in common. Now I'd love to go see a TV station.

There was one woman there in particular who really rubbed me the wrong way at first. But I finally realized that it was because she was just like me. I can tell that she puts people off and is critical of herself and others. So I sat down with her on the last day (jeez, was that yesterday?) and we had a great talk. I think one of the most valuable lessons I learned this week was that I need to be more open, and to let go of judgment. This isn't new to me, but it's always good to be reminded.

No comments: