Sunday, January 21, 2007

Post-Poynter, Pre-BSG

A full day. I flew here to St. Pete this morning, and got about 30 minutes to rest before my first session of "Leadership for New Managers." I've met a couple interesting people, including a teacher from South Africa, at their equivalent of the Poynter Institute. He goes to countries where there has either been very recent conflict or is about to be conflict to talk to journalists about how to be responsible in their roles. What an amazing job. He said he'd been to Sierra Leone, Liberia and Rwanda. I asked him about how places like that move on from genocide. He said sometimes they can't, but they really, really want to. I'll be interested in hearing more from him in the coming week.

I'm really excited for this week. To get the most out of the week, I need to stop myself from judging harshly. I'm really going to work on that. Because already, in the "Getting to know you, getting to know more about you, getting to like you, getting to hope you like me" session I have pinpointed a couple people who really like to talk a LOT. And I know that bothers me because I like to talk, too. But mostly I'm here to hear the instructors talk. Whew, that was a tough sentence to spell.

OK, well, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the other thing I've been looking forward to for a month, which is the return of Battlestar Galactica. It's on in 26 minutes. I think there's going to be some drama between Lee and Kara, which I love. I really hope the show doesn't get canceled. It's the first show I've really gotten into in a dramatic way since "Felicity." There really are a lot of commonalities.

OK, this one is for you, Lauren:

No comments: