Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Dude, where's the car?

Today we talked about "multi-platform journalism." Online, primarily. They kept talking and talking about the business model and "keeping people from the off button" (that's the tv guys). Henry Ford said, "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." And here's what I think: we in the organized news media are giving people faster horses. And really, they're not much faster. They're only a little faster. And somewhere out there is the car. I think about it all the time, actively. Where is the car? What is the car? It's out there. We just have to find it. What scares me is that no one seems to be looking for it. But I really want to find the car.

It reminds me of what I have taped to my monitor at work. It's based on a Schopenhauer quote, which I read as "Talent hits the marks no one can hit. Genius hits the marks no one can see." I want so badly to hit the marks no one can see.

Also it's possible that there are bedbugs here. I had a couple bites on me this morning. And when I called the front desk just now, the guy said, "I can't tell you for sure if there has been a recent problem. I'll have to talk to my manager." That immediately made everything itch.

No comments: