Sunday, August 06, 2006

School's out for summer!

My teacher doesn't teach in August, so I'm off for a month. She gave me a bunch of stuff to practice, so I've been keeping busy. Last week, I ran into my neighbor, who also teaches piano, and he said my teacher said I was "a very good student." Y-hoo!

I've been practicing from 4 different books (over the summer, I've started an Orff book), and some of it goes pretty well. I'm up to Alouette and Kumbaya in the Alfred, which I quite like. I've done 4 different versions of Simple Gifts. So I was practicing tonight, and feeling pretty good about it until I got to the Piano Town pieces, complete with their dinosaur drawings and kids with trumpets. And then I started to suck, big time. A major degree of suckage. It really was amazing. But I figured out why: because they change around the fingering. One second I'm in G position, the next second my fingers are all overlapping each other. I get all jacked up.

Anyway, at least now I know why I suck. And knowing is half the battle.

Anyone out there have trouble with crazy fingering?

1 comment:

F2B said...

I don't know you, but I just wanted to say I think it's great you are learning to play at your age...You go girl!!! Hope you figure out the crazy fingering...