Thursday, July 27, 2006

What my mind can conceive, my body can achieve

It seemed so hopeful when I read that saying in a series of children's books long ago. I'm just having a little trouble actually getting it to work.

Right now, I'm having a problem playing the notes in the melody legato, while the accompaniment is staccato, or just even unmarked notes. At the end of my lesson this week, my teacher said I could practice a little passage while she waited for her next student. I played the passage (3 notes! 3 notes!) maybe 3 times, and then she just said, "well, maybe you just better stop." I laughed and said, "Just can't take anymore today, huh?"

She said I'm falling on the keys, instead of playing deliberately. So this week, that's what I'm working on: Deliberation. If she only knew how deliberate I am.

Does anyone out there know how much I should be practicing each day? I asked someone at work, who said it should be 2 hours, at least 5 times a week. That's going to be hard, since I work at least 50 hours a week. What I really want to hear is 30-45 minutes.

No comments: