Tuesday, July 18, 2006

How old will I be if I don't take piano lessons?

Oh, who the hell cares how I got here? Here's what matters: I'm 30 years old and I'm just now learning how to play the piano. It's something I've always wanted to do, but we couldn't afford it when I was a kid. And then laziness and complacency stopped me from doing it as a young adult. But when a friend of mine moved away a couple months ago and offered to sell me her piano, I thought, well, it's about time.

I've taken about a month's worth of lessons, and the kid who follows me at my teacher's house is oh, maybe, 6. As someone who's always considered herself a middlin' to high achiever, this brings with it a sweet pain.

I asked my piano teacher how long it would take me to get good at the piano. She said, maybe 3 years until I feel proficient. At first, I thought, man, I'll be 33 years old and just gaining proficiency. Damn.

But then I thought, I'm going to be 33 anyway. At least I'm doing something with my time. So I posted a sign above my piano: HOW OLD WOULD YOU BE IF YOU DIDN'T TAKE PIANO LESSONS?

In case you want to play along at home, I'm using these 3 books right now:

Faber and Faber's Adult Piano Adventures


Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Lesson Book, Level One


Piano Town


Oh good, the Piano Town book image came in the largest, so you can see the kids right on the front. That's the funniest, or most humiliating one, whatever your perspective. I enjoy such hits as, "Owls and Bats." "The Backpack." "Waiting for the Bus." "My New Class." And don't forget such classics as "Glitter Glue."

I kid, because I know I have an amazing opportunity. I have the time and the money and the space to bring piano into my life. I'm really glad. And I'll let you know how I do.

No comments: